I turned 28 last Saturday.
Although I am closer to 30, (or as my five year old self would say “old”) I am not feeling overwhelmed or sad. I’m actually looking forward to the me I will be at 30.
After a wonderful getaway with my hubby to celebrate another trip around the sun, I took some time to think about the things I have learn.
In a way, these are the things I wish my younger self knew, so here it goes!
28 lessons I have learn in my 28 years of life, some are still a work in progress…
1. Only you control your own happiness. Not stuff. Not people. YOU.
2. The number on the scale doesn’t define you.
3. Everyone has insecurities. Quit fighting them and embrace them.
4. Everyone is on their own path in life so stop comparing yourself to those around you.
5. Take care of your mental health for your own damn sanity.
6. The opinions of others are none of your business.
7. Listen to understand, not respond.
8. If someone can’t change it in five minutes, don’t point it out.
9. Not all men are jerks.
10. Slow down. Be present. For the love of all things good in this world, stop overthinking.
11. You can’t truly love others until you love yourself.
12. When people are mean, it is more about what is going on inside of them and less than it is about you.
Jessi Entel at age 18.
13. Blood doesn’t make a family. Love does.
14. Learn to say no. You’ll be happier for it.
15. Learn to speak your mind in the moment. If you don’t, you’ll bottle it up and honey, the bottle does have a bottom and it is a real mess when it overflows.
16. Friendship is about quality, not quantity.
17. Collect memories, not things.
18. Home isn’t a place but a feeling.
19. Trust your gut. It is usually right.
20. Failure doesn’t mean YOU are a failure.
21. Life never goes as planned, so the sooner you learn to accept it, the happier you’ll be.
22. Self care is not just important, it is crucial.
23. Practice patience daily. Especially with yourself.
24. Drink more water. Your tummy and skin will thank you.
25. Don’t be so serious. Seriously. Laugh as much as you breathe.
26. It is not your job to fix everyone’s problems.
27. You can do anything, just not everything.
28. You are not everyone’s cup of tea and that is okay! Besides, you’re an iced caramel macchiato anyways.